Faculty of Dental Sciences King George Medical University Lucknow

Address: Chowk,

Contact: 0522 2652758, 226675

Website: http://www.kgmu.org

Courses: BDS,MDS

 

The Dental Wing of the King George's Medical University started as a part of the ENT Department in 1949 with Dr. B. Sampat in charge. It shifted to a separate premesis as a Department of Dentistry in 1952. The department made steady progress with constituent sections of different specialities offering comprehensive dental care to patients under the stewardship of Prof.
T. N. Chawla who succeeded Dr Sampat. The Dental Department became a full fledged separate faculty in 1980 with the respective sections becoming full fledged departments.
 
The Faculty of Dental Sciences also made significant contributions in the field of research. A research unit in Periodontology was established under Prof TN Chawla by the Indian Council of Medical Research, New Delhi in 1965. In 1980 Faculty was created with six department independently. Fluoride Study and Oral Prophylaxis Study units were established with PL480 grants. Various other research schemes are also in hand under the Faculty.
 
In 2002, the King George Medical University was upgraded as a medical university and the Dental College was a constituent college of this new university. However, a year later in late 2003, the dental college was upgraded as a separate university by Chief Minister Mulayam Singh Yadav. The new dental university is the only one of its kind in India and one of only 4 dental universities in the world. Prof CP Govila was appointed as the 1st Vice Chancellor of this new university on 22nd May 2004.